4 Ingredient Chocolate Cake Recipe
INGREDIENTS (use a scale if you have one)
1 cup + 1 tablespoon of cake flour (125g)
3/4 cup granulated sugar (150g )
5 medium/large eggs (Room temperature)
1/4 cup (25 g) of unsweetened cocoa powder
- Before you start to make this cake preheat the oven at 340°F (170°C), grease, and line the bottom of a 7-inch cake pan (18 cm) with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour and unsweetened cocoa powder (at least 2 times)
- Separate the eggs (save the egg yolks for later)
- With a stand mixer beat egg whites until foamy. With the mixer on medium speed, slowly pour 1 tablespoon of sugar at a time over the egg whites. Add another tablespoon after the previous one has been well incorporated and repeat. Turn mixer to high speed and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add the egg yolks and incorporate them slowly into the egg white.
- With a hand whisk, incorporate the flour mix to the eggs one tablespoon at a time (Don’t rush this part but be sure to not overmix the batter as well.)
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and use a toothpick in a circular motion without touching the bottom to smooth the batter and to get rid of the bigger air bubbles.
If you use a fan-forced oven (300°F – 150°C) for about 35 minutes.
- Bake in the middle of the oven at 340°F – 170°C for about 35-40 minutes.
(depends on your oven).
Do ALWAYS the toothpick test, if it comes out dry then the sponge cake is ready (Don’t overtake it or your cake will be too dry).
REMEMBER: do not open the oven for the first 30 minutes!
Let cool the cake inside the oven for 5 minutes with the door slightly open.
Place on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare your favorite fillings and the sugar syrup to wet your cake.
- Let it cool completely before cutting the cake with a long serrated knife or wire Layer Cake Cutter.
- Now you can wet and moistened your cake with fresh berries, alcoholic, and non-alcoholic syrups, or just wet this base with chocolate milk for a cake for kids.
- For filling the cake you can use Chocolate or Vanilla pastry cream, Raspberry jam.
- Decorate with Chocolate or Nutella frosting.