Cake With Berries and Whipped cream
1/3 cup (75 grams) of unsalted butter (softened)
1 cup and 1/3 cup (140 grams) of confectioner sugar
5 egg yolks (save the whites to whisk later)
1 cup (120 grams) of plain flour
4 tablespoon of milk
1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
5 egg whites
1 cup and 3/4 cup (180 grams) of Granulated sugar
1/2 cup (50 grams ) of Sliced blanched almonds (Flaked almonds)
Ingredients Filling and top
2 and 1/2 cups (500 g) of fresh strawberries, spare some whole berries for garnish and chop finely the rest.
2 cups (480/500 ml) of well-chilled heavy cream
1/2 cup (50 grams) of Confectioners sugar + 1 tablespoon ( optional for dusting )
Half of a vanilla bean or 1/2 teaspoon of Vanilla bean paste or 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 320°F/160°C and grease and line a large baking sheet (12X16 inch) with parchment paper.
- Mix flour and baking powder, sift them, and set aside.
- Beat the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks and mix.
- Add flour/baking powder mix and milk into the egg yolks mixture and stir until the batter is smooth.
- Spread the batter onto the greased piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Combine egg whites, cream of tartar, or few drops of lemon juice in a large, clean bowl and whisk until the mixture becomes foamy than add gradually the granulated sugar a little at the time and beat until stiff peaks form.
-Spread a layer of meringue on top of the sponge batter and sprinkle the sliced blanched almonds evenly over.
Bake in the oven for about 35/40 minutes. After the baking time look at the meringue, if it is lightly colored and dry on top then the cake is ready. Let cool on a wire rack then cut the cake in half and the edges (optional).
Whip the cream till soft peaks then add the powdered sugar and vanilla and whisk until stiff peaks.
First, add the cream evenly over 1 half of the cake with the meringue side up.
Second, add the sliced strawberries, and add a second cake layer again with the meringue side up.
Third, fill a piping bag or use a spoon and garnish the top of the second layer with the remaining whipped cream and the whole strawberries and sprinkle with powdered sugar (optional).
We hope you will enjoy this summery Swedish cake :).