Tartiflette Recipe – French potato, Bacon and Cheese Casserole
1 kg Potatoes, peeled
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons Olive oil
2 medium Onions, sliced
200g Bacon, chopped
1 Garlic clove
1/2 cup (120ml) White wine
2/3 cup (160ml) Cream
Black pepper to taste
1 block Reblochon cheese *see notes:
Green salad for serving
- Preheat oven to 200C (400F). Generously rub the bottom of a deep baking dish with a clove of garlic. Set aside.
- Pour water to a large pot, add 1 tablespoon of salt, add peeled potatoes and bring to a boil. Boil for 15-20 minutes. allow to cool slightly, then slice the potatoes.
- In a large pan or skillet heat olive oil (or butter), add sliced onion and sauté for 5-6 minutes, add chopped bacon and cook for 4-5 minutes. pour in white and cook for 2 minutes over low heat. Turn the heat off and set aside.
- Assembly the dish: spread half of the potatoes on the bottom of the baking dish, season with salt and pepper, then add the onion and bacon mixture, then add the rest of the potato mixture on top, season with salt and pepper again.
- Cut the Reblochon cheese in half crosswise, then cut each halt into quarters. Arrange cheese quarters on top of the dish. Pour the cream over the dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve with green salad.